Monday, March 3, 2008

Adventures in Potty Training

Well for some reason I thought hey let's start potty training. So Saturday morning we head out to Wal-Mart and buy a new potty, nothing fancy but a 3 n 1. So we also get big girl panties and we are so excited right. We can't even wait to get it out of the box when we get home. So off the diaper goes and we sit and then stand and look deep into the potty and say no no pee pee. So we sit and stand again...this goes on for some 10 minutes. I asked her if she need to poop as she calls it and she said okay, so she get's back on the potty and pushes...well grunts like she is pushing...then stands up and says no poop. Then all of a sudden she says uh oh, and on my floor was a nice surprise. I help her quickly back on the potty and tell her to finish pushing on there and then see out of the corner of my eye Phil, my bassett hound making a bee line towards us. I hurry and get him outside and start the clean up process. a little did make it in the potty so we got lots of praise for that. But after that the potty is still something she wants to do, but she is running around with only a t shirt on...she couldn't quite get the up and down of the panties yet(she gets the front but not the back) So three puddles on the floor and once in the potty for Saturday. Then on Sunday of course to church she wears her big girl panties on top of her diaper. She tried twice at church to go potty, but nothing. Then we get home and four times on the floor and none in the potty. After the 100th time I had her sit on the potty she told me diaper and laid on the floor. If anyone has any suggestions please help. I never got on to her about going on the floor, just lots of reminders that next time we need to try to go in the potty. By Sunday she noticed right away she was going, where on Saturday she didn't notice at all until after and she saw the puddle. So any help!

2 comments:

Knit Wit said...

Sounds to me like what your doing is great. When she has a miss just gently remind her that pee/poo goes in the potty. Just as long as you don't yell or show frusteration when she misses it might cause her to get scared of the potty process if you do. Honestly I wish I had done things different with Aynslee and done diaper free time more and stressed less about getting her trained so she could learn the process of going potty. At least I can try things differently with Avery.

By the way I am having trouble with my email again I can't compose but I can reply to mail.

The High Family- said...

You are doing a great job. Dallin wasn't potty trained until he was 2 years and 7 months. He wasn't ready until then. Every time I tried he would resist. It all comes in time with each kid. I swear she will wake up one day and just start to do it. Oh ya, so my advice would be to bribe her. I know that sounds really bad, but it worked for us. If that doesn't work then try whatever you think she would like. We went through bribery, and a potty chart with stickers before he wanted to use the potty. Pretty soon she'll be telling you when she needs to go!!